Re: network issues - tdenetworkmanager - semi-resolved

On Saturday 03 February 2024 16:52:01 Mike Bird via tde-users wrote:

> > Whatever affects my network (the issues described at length in previous
> > posts) must be in these hidden files at the bottom of the home folder.
> >

> > .bash_history
> > .bash_logout
> > .bashrc
> > .DCOPserver_<my_top_secret_host_name>_:0
> > .DCOPserver_<my_top_secret_host_name>__0
> > .dmrc
> > .ICEauthority
> > .mcoprc
> > .profile
> > .sudo_as_admin_successful
> > .tderc
> > .Xauthority
> > .xsession-errors
> >
> > Among these suspects, I would suppose bash, the dcop server lines wiith
> > my hostname, and after that I am just shooting in the dark.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> How about the content of your .trinity directory tree Bill?
>
> Running tdenetworkmanager as root may have changed ownership of some
> crucial file that your regular user account was unable to change back.
>
> --Mike

Hi, Mike!

But these issues started before I did that. It was only because I could no
longer use my network at all, for anything: then I tried running
tdenetworkmanager as root, and suddenly I was able to use the internet
normally again.

Before that, my reliable connectivity, so to speak, had been gradually getting
worse, or was just spotty, but I was still blaming it on the flooding in our
building, and internet going out.

Now it's more or less back, and (after a fresh reinstallation, and changing my
hostname) I am running tdenetworkmanager as my ordinary user self, not with
godlike superuser powers, and everything is fine. The thing is, I would like
it to stay that way, and in future to avoid those problems cropping up again.

Either there is something that I am doing (that I ought not to do, or which
is "irregular" in some oldthinker kind of way); or, if I am not messing up
myself, then something out there must be doing it -- whether within the
network, or somehow accessing our network, I can't tell.

I went into the config files for tdenetworkmanager, made sure that all was
right there. (And I always keep a backup of my trusted working configuration,
somewhere that it is safe and cannot be touched.)

Bill