Re: DE comparison

Anno domini 2023 Sun, 3 Dec 18:56:37 +0100
 Michele Calgaro via tde-users scripsit:
> On 2023/12/03 09:09 AM, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
> > In fact, I can do things with it that I cannot do on TDE, but that's a different storry 🙂
>
> What's the story Nik? I am interested :-)
> Cheers
>    Michele

Oh, it's just on building appliances. Well, most of it.

FVWM uses the Xorg root window, not an extra "desktop" window. In normal usecases this is totally irrelevant. But if you need to present always-available data e.g. with root-tail or survailance cameras this is bad.

I can build GUIs with FVWM. Sure, I can use basicly any X11 toolkit do do it, but then I have to take care of the wm/de that it does what I want it to do, e.g. windows properties, placement, z-order, ... so instead I do it with FVWM.

These make FVWM for me a tool to make appliances that do what I want them to do. That is, remove everything the user could do wrong ... well, most of the time it would be easier just to remove the user :)

And for me using fvwm: these are 2 older screenshots (there are still some desktop icons and conky is singlecolored). I love to have a terminal window without title bar and different decorations. And a big pager in the background. And a transparent borderless terminal that lives in the root window (not on the screenshots).

That said FVWM and my X61 are somehow like visiting an alternative world where the twin towers are still standing (wasn't there an episode of star trek)?

Nik