Re: TDE is Famous again! :-)

On 11/5/23 08:22, Thierry de Coulon via tde-users wrote:
On Sunday 05 November 2023 07.15:28 J Leslie Turriff via tde-users wrote:

The enthusiasm for eye-candy and gratuitous user
interface changes is to me a real niusance.

Yes, but we who love simplicity may be an endangered species :)

Just last week, I had a student watching when I booted my laptop (MX-Linux).
He had a look at the GRUB menu (I have to keep a cropped Windows 10 on that
harddisk because that's all my school knows to use) and meant:

"Oh, you're still using an very old OS from the start of the 21st Century" -
because there was text (!) to read, so that was not "nice looking"
as "modern" operating systems...

I tried to explain to him that this OS was very modern - I don't think he
believed me (but he was polite enough to pretend he did :)

Thierry

I had a M-I-L in the mmiddle of the last century that had sayings, some of which were pretty cutting when considering the context, "Well, (pause for effect) you've got the same clothes to get glad in that you got mad in"

Translated to todays language:
"Eye candy can be nice but if its hiding stuff that doesn't work, its an eyesore."

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis