Re: TDE is Famous again! :-)

On Sunday 05 November 2023 05:20:39 Thierry de Coulon via tde-users wrote:
> On Sunday 05 November 2023 07.15:28 J Leslie Turriff via tde-users wrote:
> > The enthusiasm for eye-candy and gratuitous user
> > interface changes is to me a real niusance.
>
> Yes, but we who love simplicity may be an endangered species :)
>
> Just last week, I had a student watching when I booted my laptop
> (MX-Linux). He had a look at the GRUB menu (I have to keep a cropped
> Windows 10 on that harddisk because that's all my school knows to use) and
> meant:
>
> "Oh, you're still using an very old OS from the start of the 21st Century"
> - because there was text (!) to read, so that was not "nice looking" as
> "modern" operating systems...
>
> I tried to explain to him that this OS was very modern - I don't think he
> believed me (but he was polite enough to pretend he did :)
>
> Thierry

Yes, I have also got condescension from young, tech-savvy users who sometimes
despise me, an old geezer who no longer possesses the mental acuity to handle
the new, "more modern" systems.

They tend to look upon me as somebody that they either must help across the
street (because at that moment they are feeling gracious or charitable); or
as somebody that they must shove aside (because they are in a hurry, and I am
in their way).

And then, like Odysseus returned to Ithaka, I drop my dirty old beggar
disguise, and unleash my godlike powers, and they are astonished and fearful.
It is hard, just then, not to look down upon them with a mixture of pity and
contempt, but I try to avoid the low road.

There are little perks to running a GNU/Linux system, with a TDE desktop.
Also, one has fleeting glimpses of all that is possible, if only people would
open their eyes and not get entangled in proprietary operating systems and
applications.

Bill