Re: ImageMagick import freezes keyboard I/O in opensuse 15.4

On Fri, 27 Oct 2023, William Morder via tde-users wrote:

On Friday 27 October 2023 16:48:08 Gianluca Interlandi via tde-users wrote:
Thanks for the tip!

ksnapshot works better although it has the same problem, i.e., the
keyboard input is also not processed. If I use for example Alt+Tab I still
see the window selection, but it does not switch window or desktop.

However, as long as I put the window that I need to take the snapshot of
in the foreground, then ksnapshot works. I still cannot switch desktop,
but it already helps. I also like that ksnapshot gives you a preview of
your snapshot and that you can select fullscreen, window, section of a
window or just a region. I should have known it earlier!

Gianluca

Now that you mention this detail, it rings a bell! I have the same or a very
similar problem with my keyboard. (This is my old external keyboard, which
has both a USB 1.0 connector and one of those round pin connectors from the
late 1980s or early 1990s, I think.) Up until a couple weeks ago, it always
worked just fine, but lately I have been having all kinds of inexplicable
issues. One of those is that many of my usual commands will not work with my
keyboard; for example, alt+tab doesn't work to switch windows any more, and
instead I have to use the keyboard on my laptop.

The problems that I mention only occur when I use a program that takes a snapshot like import or ksnapshot. Othwerwise, I have no problems with the keyboard and I am otherwise able to use Alt+Tab to switch between windows (except when using import or ksnapshot). But I can't say whether they are related to what you are observing or not.

Thanks!

     Gianluca

For the record -- just in case anybody out there wonders why -- I cannot use
the laptop keyboard for any more than brief functions, etc., due to my big
fat hands. When using a laptop, I have always had to plug in an external
keyboard. If I try to enter my system password (which is exceptionally long
and complicated) on a laptop keyboard, it will take me maybe 15 minutes to
succeed in logging in. I bought a new external keyboard, but that doesn't
work at all with TDE's Secure Attention Key feature, and otherwise is
problematic with a Linux system, so I will try to return it for something
more compatible.

I wonder, though, if these similar issues are not symptoms of some deeper
problem. Has anybody else out there had such problems?

My own problems, by the way, keep growing, and soon, in order to keep track of
them, I will have to start a kind of encyclopedia of issues and bugs.

Anyway, I am glad to hear that this helped, at least a little. TDE's ksnapshot
is a great application.

Bill

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    +1 (206) 685 4435
                    http://gianluca.today/

Department of Bioengineering
University of Washington, Seattle WA U.S.A.