half-baked devuan installation - keyboard issues

On Friday 20 October 2023 14:52:32 Morder William wrote:

Okay, so I managed to reinstall devuan chimaera on my machine, and it seems to
be stable at present. I will have to observe how it behaves through a few
reboots to see if those problems, previously described, return to haunt me.

However, I do have one curious issue that I thought maybe somebody here would
know how to resolve, or at least to find a workaround.

I was having problems with my keyboard; it was an antediluvian Logitech
Cordless keyboard/mouse combination. This thing is so old that the antenna
thingie (don't know what this component is called) had two connections, both
a USB 1.0 and one of those circular pin connectors, such as I remember for
machines from the late 1980s and through the 1990s. But it has always worked
pretty well, just need to recharge the batteries a lot.

At last I broke down and bought a new wireless keyboard/mouse combination, in
this case another Logitech, MK360. (The mouse is M360, the keyboard, K360.)
And it worked like a charm. Suddenly everything was back to normal. Until ...

I rebooted, then suddenly the keyboard hardly worked at all. It would
recognize alt-ctrl-del, but nothing else that I could find. I kept changing
back and forth between my new keyboard and old keyboard, while I was trying
to get my system reinstalled, but these problems persisted. I tried to find a
Logitech model in the Trinity's dialogue:

TCC > Regional & Accessibility > Keyboard Layout > Keyboard model

But apparently the Logitech Cordless keyboard/mouse combination setting is
still closest, even though this keyboard is very different from my old one.
The weirdest part of this is, my old keyboard, though it still has those same
issues described in previous posts, at least is recognized, and can be used
for most of what I do, except that now I have to use a lot of awkward tricks
to get the machine to do what I want. The new keyboard, after reboot, did not
work at all.

After some more messing round, reinstallation, reboots, etc., I discovered
that TDE's Secure Attention Key setting seems to have some effect on this
problem. I would still like to use this feature, so I am wondering if there
is a workaround to get my keyboard to work. Or, maybe another route: maybe I
can create some kind of special keyboard mapping just for my model?

I'm not sure how to go about this. I tried to trace the issue as far as I can,
but maybe others will have some idea how to go about this.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Bill