network issues

Now I have developed issues with my network connection. And, just to be clear,
I tried a basic reinstallation of my system, devuan chimaera, downloaded TDE
packages from the stable repositories, didn't do anything weird, nor any
self-styled hacks.

The tdenetworkmanager now will not permit me to deactivate my connection, but
defiantly autoconnects. I went into the settings and disabled the
autoconnect, yet it still reappears. When I went into the xfce desktop (which
I never use, except for troubleshooting, such as times like this, I got a
message that said that I was not authorized to change network connections.

The only way that I am able to turn off the wifi connection is by using
iwconfig and ifconfig. I am thinking of uninstalling the tdenetworkmanager
and the gnome networkmanager on which I believe it relies, and to go back to
using wicd for a while.

I feel like I am losing my mind. I have not changed anything in my basic
settings or installation patterns in *years*. And I mean, years and years and
years. I've been doing it exactly like this since about 2012 or so, when I
first changed over from the old KDE3 desktop (on Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04) to
the earliest versions of the TDE desktop, once I figured out how to get it
working. I've done it like this through Kubuntu, Debian, and now Devuan. If
something major has changed which is affecting all these different
applications, I have not seen anything in the tech news and gossip.

Furthermore, as I said earlier, my new keyboard/mouse combon will not work at
all with TDE's Secure Attention Key, so it looks like I will be returning it
to exchange for something that is explicitly made to work with a Linux
system.

Please, if anybody has even a clue what's going on, say something, as I am
lost here.

Bill