Re: half-baked devuan installation - please help

On Friday 13 October 2023 07:35:19 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
> Anno domini 2023 Fri, 13 Oct 07:08:36 -0700
> > > You'd need "non-free-firmware" "and "non-free" repositories and you
> > > have to instll amd64-firmware.
> > >
> > > Nik
{snip}

> Some of the glitches you observe most likely come from not having th
> microcode patches installed. Hardware nowadays is not what it used to be :)
> You'd need for your ideapad:
>
> amd64-microcode
> firmware-amd-graphics
> firmware-iwlwifi (most likely)

Okay, so I just did an upgrade of my daedalus system. Then I enabled non-free
and contrib in my sources.list, and tried installing these packages, both as
is and with * appended (in order to catch any packages that might replace
these), but I keep getting pretty much this same error message:

######
Package firmware-amd-graphics is not available, but is referred to by another
package.
is only available from another source

E: Unable to locate package amd64-microcode
E: Package 'firmware-amd-graphics' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package firmware-iwlwifi
######

I also tried just to upgrade with non-free and contrib enabled, and the only
package offered for upgrade is fonts-ubuntu.

Can't say yet whether my system runs any better now, or at least more
glitch-free, after this upgrade. That will probably have to wait for at least
another reboot.

I am about to search firmware in general, just to see if anything similar get
caught up in my trawling blindly for likely packages. I know that they all
look rather familiar, but they seem to have been made unavailable to me,
specifically, and I take it very personally.

;-)

Thanks for your patience. This is strange new adventure in system upgrade.

Bill