Re: half-baked devuan installation - please help

Anno domini 2023 Fri, 13 Oct 07:08:36 -0700
 William Morder via tde-users scripsit:

> On Friday 13 October 2023 04:58:45 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
> > Oh, I forgot:
> >
> > You'd need "non-free-firmware" "and "non-free" repositories and you have to
> > instll amd64-firmware.
> >
> > Nik
>
> Hmmm. So far I have managed to avoid using anything non-free, and would like
> to keep it that way. I have no problems getting online, despite occasional
> warnings about missing firmware.
>
> Do you believe that this missing firmware is the cause of these weird
> glitches? I mean, I have *never* used non-free firmware in any Devuan
> installation. Only my very first Debian installation, back in the days of
> Jessie, used non-free, and only because I wasn't yet familiar with a Debian
> system, and wanted to try to get past the lower hurdles.
>
> This is not the case now. I can generally keep my machine running and stable
> without using non-free firmware. But of course, these weird glitches that
> have started creeping in, in the past few months, could be a sign of things
> to come.

Some of the glitches you observe most likely come from not having th microcode patches installed. Hardware nowadays is not what it used to be :) You'd need for your ideapad:

amd64-microcode
firmware-amd-graphics
firmware-iwlwifi (most likely)

Otherwise you should be good to go. If you want to get long battery runtimes then you can use this small program:

--8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<--
#!/bin/bash

#chown nik /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy*/scaling_max_freq

if [ -z "$1" ]; then
	cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy*/scaling_max_freq
elif [ "slow" = "$1" ]; then
	for i in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy*; do
		echo $(( $(cat $i/cpuinfo_min_freq) * 3)) > $i/scaling_max_freq
	done
elif [ "fast" = "$1" ]; then
	for i in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy*; do
		cat $i/cpuinfo_max_freq > $i/scaling_max_freq
	done
else
	echo "$(basename ""$0"")             : print current freqency"
	echo "$(basename ""$0"") [slow|fast] : set freqency"
fi

Note, you need to call it with a delay of ~ 10 secs from TDE autostart - otherwise the powermanager will backstab you :)

Nik