Re: half-baked devuan installation - please help

On Friday 13 October 2023 05:37:54 deloptes via tde-users wrote:
> > And no, by the way, I have no other computer with which to get on the
> > internet, and never use my phone for internet. Someday perhaps I will get
> > another machine, but at present I have about six more machines packed
> > away in storage.
>
> If I were you, I would install Debian/Devuan on USB stick. You can instruct
> the BIOS to boot from USB if available, in some cases even from specific
> USB Stick. This way you will not put your work environment in danger.
>
> When this works you can transfer the installation to the disk or install on
> the disk.
>
> In any case a bootable USB drive is very useful tool to have around.

That's not a bad idea. I have actually installed a complete system on a USB
stick before; not only the root partition, but also swap and home. And I have
been considering putting the efi boot partition on a flash drive, except that
I need to get a few more flash drives before I can waste one for such a small
partition. Unless it can be put there along side a Linux installation, then
boot either from the machine's OS or from the one installed on the USB stick?
That sounds like it could work, or not.

Bill