Re: Laptop installation

John Logsdon via tde-users wrote:

> 1) I have no wifi or ethernet tools.  The machine is currently working
> with the installation settings in /etc/netplan via the wired networking.
> Thus, if I want to use it elsewhere I cannot select wireless network
> without editing the installation file(s).  Network settings just tells
> me that the platform is not supported and offers quite an old list of
> options.  What is missing from my installation?

I am using the network manager and tdenetworkmanager, which is working fine
at 95%. I had only once an issue when I was in a hotel. and the issue was
related to the shorewall firewall that was obviously not dynamic enough to
respond to the hotels network
Here I would also check if I were member of the group netdev

> 2) There is no suspend or other power options.  As I use it as an
> effective desktop that is permanently plugged in, this may not matter
> but again, what can be missing?

Here I would check if I have the proper permissions for the group plugdev
see /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.trinitydesktop.hardwarecontrol.conf

> 3) If I go to the power settings and try to change anything, the display
> on the laptop goes bananas with for example the nice plain blue xterm
> header turned into a rainbow, blotchy characters etc.  Moving the
> offending object to the external screen .  I've seen this before and the
> answer with an nVidia graphics card was to install the nVidia-418
> drivers from the Ubuntu repository and block nouveau.  Initially, with
> nouveau, this happened which is why I installed the nVidia bundle but it
> happens with that as well.  Could this be a confusion between the two
> display controllers because the extension screen is not affected, or the
> missing power options?

I also had this bug on older Dell ... but I do not remember what was the
solution. I do not think it is confusion between the two controllers or
related to the power option. I remember it was something different, but can
not reach to the details.

BR