Re: Kate configuration

J Leslie Turriff via tde-users wrote on 9/22/23 13:34:
On 2023-09-19 15:38:26 you wrote:
J Leslie Turriff via tde-users wrote on 9/18/23 23:32:
	Configuration of the Sessions feature in Kate has always been confusing
(at least for you and me).

	If you Click on Sessions => Select Session > how many sessions do you
see?

One (called "Unnamed").

	In the image you posted, 'Behavior on Application Exit or Session
Switch' at the bottom is set to 'Do not save session'; perhaps, though
you have created a new session, your session info was not saved into it?
You could change that to 'Ask user' to see if that helps.

I did that, and it changed things, although not really a help:

With "Do not save session" selected:

1. Open blank kate.
       This has a sidebar with "Untitled" in it.

2. Change session configuration to: "Ask user".

3. Remove sidebar.

4. File | Quit
      Asks me whether to save the session; click "Save".

---

5. Open blank kate.
       No sidebar. Good. But...

6. Type some text.

7. File | Quit
      Asks me whether to save the file.
      I select yes, and give it a filename.
      Asks me whether to save the session; click "Delete".
	But why did you want to delete the session which is remembering that you
don't want the sidebar to be displayed?

??? I wanted to delete the new session that I was in, so that it wouldn't get written to disk, so that when I next opened kate, it would be in the same state as in state 5.

There are three session-related choices when I quit: Save, Delete, Cancel. Cancel obviously isn't right, because that cancels the attempt to quit. Save isn't right, because if I do that, the next time I open kate, it remembers the text I type in 6, and also gives me the sidebar. So "delete" was the only thing that made sense.

Feel free to tell me what I should have selected... but I've explicitly tried both Save and Delete, and neither did the right thing.

	Now that you know that the session is recording that, you can change 'Ask
user' to 'Save session' (it really means 'Re-save session') and it will
remember it forever.  'Load last-used session' and 'Save session' will do
what you want.

OK, so, going back to the initial configuration, I execute:

1. Open blank kate.
      This has a sidebar with "Untitled" in it.

2. Change session configuration to: "Ask user".

3. Remove sidebar.

4. File | Quit
     Asks me whether to save the session; click "Save".

5. Open blank kate.
      No sidebar. Good.

6. Change session configuration to "Save Session".

7. Check that session configuration says "Load last-used session". It does.

8. File | Quit
      Kate immediately quits, with no questions.

9. Open blank kate.
     This has a sidebar with "Untitled" in it.

So at what step did I do something different from what you think I should do?

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans