Re: Kate configuration

J Leslie Turriff via tde-users wrote on 9/18/23 23:32:

	Configuration of the Sessions feature in Kate has always been confusing (at
least for you and me).

	If you Click on Sessions => Select Session > how many sessions do you see?

One (called "Unnamed").

	In the image you posted, 'Behavior on Application Exit or Session Switch' at
the bottom is set to 'Do not save session'; perhaps, though you have created
a new session, your session info was not saved into it?  You could change
that to 'Ask user' to see if that helps.

I did that, and it changed things, although not really a help:

With "Do not save session" selected:

1. Open blank kate.
     This has a sidebar with "Untitled" in it.

2. Change session configuration to: "Ask user".

3. Remove sidebar.

4. File | Quit
    Asks me whether to save the session; click "Save".

---

5. Open blank kate.
     No sidebar. Good. But...

6. Type some text.

7. File | Quit
    Asks me whether to save the file.
    I select yes, and give it a filename.
    Asks me whether to save the session; click "Delete".

[I note that this option says that it will delete ALL saved sessions, not just the current one. I don't see a way in this dialogue to delete the current session but keep the one that was present when kate started.]

---

8. Open blank kate.
    Back to having a sidebar with "Untitled" in it.

So that's still not right :-(

----

I also tried the following in an attempt to finesse the lack of an option to keep the session information that was used when kate opens.

Starting from the same original configuration:

1. Open blank kate.
     This has a sidebar with "Untitled" in it.

2. Change session configuration to: "Ask user".

3. Remove sidebar.

4. File | Quit
    Asks me whether to save the session; click "Save".

5. Open blank kate.
     No sidebar. Good.

6. Change Session configuration to: do not save.
Logically, then, if I now close and re-open kate, it will open with no sidebar, as no new session will be stored during the exit, and re-opening kate should therefore be exactly the same as in step 5.

7. File | Quit.
No dialogue box. Good. When this step concludes, I reckon that I should be in exactly the same state as at the end of step 4, as no new session has been written to disk.

8. Open blank kate.
     This has a sidebar with "Untitled" in it.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans