Re: kate configuration

Anno domini 2023 Fri, 21 Jul 13:08:39 -0400
 gene heskett via tde-users scripsit:
> On 7/21/23 10:56, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
> > Anno domini 2023 Fri, 21 Jul 10:35:24 -0400
> >   gene heskett via tde-users scripsit:

> >> I don't believe this is a TDE problem, I've had kate do unexpected
> >> things, on xfce4, on gnome, and now on kde5/plasma, particularly at
> >> quitting time. I've had no such oddities with geany, the complete 30some
> >> packages kit. It Just Works.  And I'm not running TDE, much as I'd like
> >> to, but it won't install since wheezy on my systems w/o tearing the
> >> system down and then re-installing it all. My complaints have been
> >> ignored. Everyone else claims it just works, without the dependency
> >> problems I'm seeing. ??
> >
> > Maybe I'm living on the edge .. I have kate 4:14.2.0~pre50-0debian12.0.0+4 installed.
> >
> I show 22.12.3 here on bookworm and for a change it quit clean, twice,
> but then all I did was look at the about pulldown, so it had nothing to
> save.
>
> Part of this problem may be some subtle diff in the raid format between
> buster/bullseye and bookworm. This raid was setup and initially formated
> under buster.
>
> digiKam, any version, distro or AppImage up to last weeks build, acts
> like something is blocking access to my software raid10 containing my
> /home/gene partition,  but I own it lock stock and barrel by any means I
> know how to check. It and shotwell, can see everything in both my
> camera, and in both Pictures and Photos in my home dir,  shotwell can
> import stuff from the camera one marked file at a time, but when digiKam
> try's, it, its finished instantly but when I go looking for the pix on
> my hard drive, its not there. Cura, has a save button button for saving
> the sliced file as gcode, may take 5 minutes, with no wheel spinning
> visible before it finally opens the save file requestor and I go click
> thru the directories leading to where I want to save it.
>
> Thunderbird, which wants to save a msg at 30 sec intervals, fails the
> save about 1 in 20 times and a retry always works. Once, maybe twice in
> the same blue moon, I'll see a perms failure in the shell I launch
> digiKam from. Inconsistant is the kindest description I can muster on a
> mixed list. I'd call it exasperating if I'm PC enough but that would be
> a huge understatement. I tried to setup the new kmail, but it can't save
> the account data, and does not report any errors when it fails.
>
> If you've any ideas about how to fix this, throw them at me.
>
> Is there a trick I can put in /etc/fstab to force an fsck on this raid10
> after mdadm has assembled it but before its mounted on the next reboot?
> Its 4 1T SamSung 870 series SSD's on their own 6 port sata controller.

wht does "dmesg" say, anythin about md devices? And what does
	cat /proc/mdstat
say?

I would have a verry bad feeling if I had access problems to a raid ... to be more precise, I'd grab my wallet and run screeming to the next hardware store demanding a 2TB ssd - just to find that they sell nails and hammers, but sorry no ssds (whatever that might be). That said, I have at least 2 or more laptops keeping an up to date copy of anything + a freebsd server with zfs + blueray backups ... feel free to call me paranoid.

Nik