Re: kate configuration

On 7/21/23 10:56, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
Anno domini 2023 Fri, 21 Jul 10:35:24 -0400
  gene heskett via tde-users scripsit:
On 7/21/23 09:24, Michele Calgaro via tde-users wrote:
On 2023/07/21 02:28 AM, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
I remember that I looked for that years ago, but did not find it
either. I think it was possible ages ago to create a new session and
all settings where saved in that session - but I just tried, but it
does not work: kate crashes when switching sessions (I have 2
"unknown"), or does not save sessions, or crashes when saving sessions
if the document windows is hidden. So probably it's time for a bug
report 😄

Nik

Hi Nik,
can you paste the steps to reproduce each of the crashes you mentioned?
I don't have crashes in Kate when changing or saving sessions.
Cheers
    Michele

I don't believe this is a TDE problem, I've had kate do unexpected
things, on xfce4, on gnome, and now on kde5/plasma, particularly at
quitting time. I've had no such oddities with geany, the complete 30some
packages kit. It Just Works.  And I'm not running TDE, much as I'd like
to, but it won't install since wheezy on my systems w/o tearing the
system down and then re-installing it all. My complaints have been
ignored. Everyone else claims it just works, without the dependency
problems I'm seeing. ??

Maybe I'm living on the edge .. I have kate 4:14.2.0~pre50-0debian12.0.0+4 installed.

I show 22.12.3 here on bookworm and for a change it quit clean, twice, but then all I did was look at the about pulldown, so it had nothing to save.

Part of this problem may be some subtle diff in the raid format between buster/bullseye and bookworm. This raid was setup and initially formated under buster.

digiKam, any version, distro or AppImage up to last weeks build, acts like something is blocking access to my software raid10 containing my /home/gene partition, but I own it lock stock and barrel by any means I know how to check. It and shotwell, can see everything in both my camera, and in both Pictures and Photos in my home dir, shotwell can import stuff from the camera one marked file at a time, but when digiKam try's, it, its finished instantly but when I go looking for the pix on my hard drive, its not there. Cura, has a save button button for saving the sliced file as gcode, may take 5 minutes, with no wheel spinning visible before it finally opens the save file requestor and I go click thru the directories leading to where I want to save it.

Thunderbird, which wants to save a msg at 30 sec intervals, fails the save about 1 in 20 times and a retry always works. Once, maybe twice in the same blue moon, I'll see a perms failure in the shell I launch digiKam from. Inconsistant is the kindest description I can muster on a mixed list. I'd call it exasperating if I'm PC enough but that would be a huge understatement. I tried to setup the new kmail, but it can't save the account data, and does not report any errors when it fails.

If you've any ideas about how to fix this, throw them at me.

Is there a trick I can put in /etc/fstab to force an fsck on this raid10 after mdadm has assembled it but before its mounted on the next reboot? Its 4 1T SamSung 870 series SSD's on their own 6 port sata controller.

I'm thinking theres an ACL someplace that was set by buster, and is now just enough different to be a PITA for bookworm, but that is not a SWAG, just a WAG, no science involved. And when I ask about it on the debian list there's 2+ hours of crickets before traffic starts up again.

Thanks Nik,

Nik

Take care & stay well people.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.