Re: Folders with locale

On Mon, 22 May 2023 16:02:27 +0200
ajh-valmer via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is a locales problems with accented characters
> of some languages as french...
>
> In english, you are lucky, no accented characters :-)

Except that that leaves us without enough letters to write the language
phonetically.  We should never have gotten rid of thorn and eth, either. ;)

More to the point, the corrupted directory names you originally posted
looked a *lot* like some of the spew I see sometimes when processing
French text through Perl on a system whose default codepage is different
from the original document's.

Could it be that somewhere along the way—either in the code creating
these directories, or in the setup for the filesystem itself, something is
expecting UTF-8 and getting ISO 8859-1, or vice-versa?  (Since only
the accented characters are corrupted, both encodings must be
ASCII-compatible, or nearly so . . .)

E. Liddell