Re: how to suppress icons in systray ? sorta half-solved

On Saturday 22 April 2023 01:13:39 deloptes via tde-users wrote:
> William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > I am pretty sure that I never deliberately configured any apps to do
> > that, but I could be wrong. Only grep and time will tell.
>
> I did not understand what is wrong with hiding the icons from the systray
> as Thierry advised.

Please refer to my email with this date and heading:
>Re:  Re: how to suppress icons in systray ?
> Date: 2023-04-19 04:16

But don't bother, as I will quote:

>> > Now I see what you mean, and that sounds like just the ticket ... except,
>N.B. the following words:
>> > I don't have the option to configure the systray!
>>
>> Unlock the panel if locked and right click the bar that appears to the left
>> of the systray. Then click Configure
>
>Sorry, that doesn't happen here. As I explained, the option doesn't appear.
>
>Maybe I need to remove that shortcuts folder from my taskbar, but I haven't
>got that far yet. It actually points to a folder that is full of shortcuts to
>places and things: for example, so that I can load a playlist for smplayer,
>audacious, etc.
>
>Maybe, if I remove that folder, that option will appear?

You see, as I said earlier, that option *does not appear* when I do this.

Furthermore
... I deliberately left this out of my emails, as I wasn't sure it was
relevant, and not due to my own mistake ...

When I *did* try that, my kicker froze up, and I could not restart it. When I
rebooted my system, I was first greeted with no wireless connection, and was
not able to mount any of my external hard drives. So, I said, let's poke
round a bit, I ended up trying to reboot again, and now I had NOTHING. I got
the start-up shell, which ended with that ominous invitation, to press ctrl-D
and resume boot, or to press enter and repair system.

Neither of these could be done, so there was nothing left to me but to
reinstall my system. And here it gets interesting for me. It had been so long
since I needed to do anything that got deep into my system ... that I had
forgot the bios password! I don't think I have needed to get into the bios
for at least a year or so, and I got the machine new. And I didn't have
another internet machine here, except for my smartphones (which I hate using
for internet), so I couldn't just easily look up the bios password for this
box. So I kept poking round aimlessly, trying the guess what were the bios
commands, and at last hit on hold down F2, which I probably ought to have
guess first, but you know ...

Does that answer your question? That's why I cannot do as Thierry suggested,
and I am not sure why, except that I must have a lot of legacy tricks that I
have added ever since KDE3 and the years 2006-2008 or so. And I am loath to
remove my shortcuts folder, which might interfere with this function, but I
suppose it exists elsewhere, and these are only shortcuts, so I may try that.

I am still playing with grep, as I haven't used it much. Once I get more
comfortable with grep, then at least I can determine what programs are
calling ksystray when I don't want them to dock like that.

I ought to say, too, that I hold my lower panel in a kind of superstitious
awe - sort of like Indiana Jones avoids touching the Ark of the Covenant, so
that he doesn't get fried. Whenever I unlock my lower panel and start to move
things round, bad stuff happens, maybe not quite as bad as getting fried by
otherworldly forces, but pretty bad, and I try not to repeat them.

For now, I am still trying to work out just how ksystray works, and why
certain applications call it to open (and create those ghost icons), and why
other don't. When I get more information, I will post again.

Bill

P.S. See attachment. That's my systray, for what it is worth, but the
screenshot cannot seem to capture my mouse action, which as I say doesn't
offer those options that I find in Thierry's screenshots.