Re: how to suppress icons in systray ? sorta half-solved

On Friday 21 April 2023 07:59:21 Michael via tde-users wrote:

> > > But the applications do keep running. It's just those extra ghost icons
> > > that serve no real purpose. I don't want them.
> >
> > appications register themselfs als "I have a super importenat systray
> > icon", this not something the systray does by its self. IMO you'll have
> > to go through the applications settings and disable systray integration.
>
> I agree with Nik, especially in the case of SMPlayer.  It's a configure
> option inside the app itself.

As I said earlier, I do configure some apps to dock themselves in the system
tray, and I want them there. I don't want uninvited guests, nor the
reduplication of those useless ghost icons.

I am pretty sure that I never deliberately configured any apps to do that, but
I could be wrong. Only grep and time will tell.

> > >  Especially, as I said,
> > > when I get my systray full of half a dozen or more of them, and often
> > > they are all icons for, say, smplayer, yet they actually represent
> > > other applications.
>
> That would be a bug.
>
> Unless you've specifically gone into each app and manually changed its
> icon, which sounds really doubtful.  Or you have SMPlayer configured to
> have multiple instances running at the same time. [Options >> Preferences
> >> Interface, tab Instances]
>
> If it persists, try to make a screenshot of it with 3+ duplicates.  Then
> add a bug to bugzilla including which apps are behind the duplicite icons.
>
> Best,
> Michael

Will try to get a screenshot of that behavior. It usually happens when I am in
a kind of wild burst of creativity, where I am clicking to open one
application or file after another. Then I might have several different items
open in quick succession, but they all get tagged with the same ghost icon,
whatever it may be, as that's totally random.

Bill