Re: Well, you've sold me, but . . .

On Monday 13 March 2023 14:00:41 dep via tde-users wrote:
> For a start, I'll need to get months of treatment if I'm to recover from my
> exposure to the Trisquel folks. It's no exaggeration to say that they
> might well consider Richard M. Stallman insufficiently pure ideologically.

It has been years since I tried out Trisquel, so I didn't realize that they
had become such ideologues.

You might consider giving antiX (especially) a try. There is another person on
this list who is a big fan of MX Linux and its relative antiX. I tried them
both, a little, and prefer antiX of the two, mainly because there is (or was)
a TDE version out there. (Don't know if it's current, but there used to be
one somewhere.) Anyway, that might solve your immediate problem quicker than
trying to learn Debian/Devuan from scratch. Everything is already packaged
together.

My reasons for not going that way are two:

First, that I had already got into Debian (and was soon to be moving on to
Devuan), so I didn't see any reason to change to antiX when I already was
liking Debian/Devuan, once I had cracked the nut and figured out how to get
it installed.

Second (my only real complaint), antiX changed permissions in my home folder,
as a sort of default behavior during installation. (Permissions were changed
to something like myself [owner] and some other name [group] throughout my
entire home folder.) I don't know what that was about; it could be that antiX
is correct, and I've been doing it wrong all these years. But anyway, I
didn't care for that.

Also, back then I was running a desktop with four internal hard drives, and I
found that antiX could not configure these during the installation process,
but they got treated like unrecognized external hard drives. Again, there was
probably an easy enough workaround, but it didn't suit my needs at that time.

As for operation, antiX was very fast, didn't seem to be cluttered with
unnecessary crap, and had all the basic stuff one would need. Still, for
myself, now that I had got into Debian/Devuan, I didn't see the need to give
antiX more of a chance when I already had what I wanted.

For myself, though, I consider MX Linux and antiX to be real Debian (or
actually, maybe, Devuan, since no systemd there). If I didn't make myself
clear earlier (because Michael hadn't commented yet), those are also good
distros,

The 'Buntus I don't consider to be real Debian at all. As for being
Debian-based, I would say that there is an hereditary relationship there, but
it doesn't mean much in practical terms. Likewise, our bodies contain
stardust, yet I am not a star.

As for personal preferences, well, don't mistake those for fundamental
considerations. There are some other Debian/Devuan forks out there that are
real, and true to the original Debian code, but I don't have any current
information about new developments; I just hear snips of gossip online.

Debian, Devuan, MX Linux, antiX: I'm pretty sure that one of those will get
you up and running without too much suffering.

Bill