Well, you've sold me, but . . .

For a start, I'll need to get months of treatment if I'm to recover from my
exposure to the Trisquel folks. It's no exaggeration to say that they
might well consider Richard M. Stallman insufficiently pure ideologically.

Perhaps it comes from guilt; they acknowledge that without Canonical a/k/a
Ubuntu they could not exist. It's a little like Judge Roy Bean's comment
on reformed prostitutes, indeed, reformed anything. One referred to Debian
as a "fallen gold standard," and I pointed out that gold is actually up
$52 today, but I doubt that changed any minds. It's too bad. A simply
de-Canonicaled Ubuntu would be a good thing.

Which leaves Debian. If I weren't bone lazy I would have adopted it instead
of Ubuntu many years ago. Thanks to everyone here for the many useful tips
in that regard, and other regards, though I think it's pretty clear that
Debian is the answer. It's rye whisky, while most other distros are
umbrella drinks.

I have one question (well, many, but this one just surprised me): of the
many ISOs in the TDE repository, there isn't a Debian one. Is there some
reason for this or simply nobody to make one?

Like any good former OS/2 user, as a matter of reflex I have /home on its
own partition, pictures on their own partition and drive, and so on. I'll
probably further back up /home on an empty partition of another drive as
well. (Having mentioned OS/2, let me once again whine about it having been
wise from the get-go to segregate applications in their own directories,
as opposed to intermingling them with everything else.)

Anyway, having asked and been advised, I thought it right to let everybody
know where I am ending up.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album