Re: drop-in ubuntu replacements?

On Thu March 9 2023 18:45:52 dep via tde-users wrote:
> said Michele Calgaro via tde-users:
> | On 2023/03/10 07:34 AM, dep via tde-users wrote:
> | > what's the right answer? is there a solid non-ubuntu ubuntu that
> | > without too much crowbar use runs TDE?
> |
> | Debian :-)
>
> Assuming that you didn't think I was asking "what's your favorite distro,"
> can I in fact point my /etc/apt/sources.list at a Debian server and have
> it update/upgrade without breaking things? There's the additional concern
> that I have hardware, particularly video, that pretty much demands binary
> drivers, and if memory serves Debian is highly allergic to those.

Debian has many binary drivers in non-free.  I'd be stuck without them.

I have in the past successfully migrated approx two dozen systems from
Ubuntu to Debian without reinstalling from scratch.  However this was after
extensive testing on virtual machines to figure out reliable migrations.

This is of course totally unsupported and not recommended.

Too much has changed for my experiences from those tests to be of much value
today but in general I found it easiest to uninstall desktop stuff, migrate
the base system, and then reinstall the desktop stuff.

Whether you choose to try Debian or something closer to Ubuntu it doesn't
hurt to backup your apt configuration then point it at a new distro and:

  apt update
  apt --dry-run dist-upgrade

- to get an idea what kind of problems you might be facing.

--Mike