Re: drop-in ubuntu replacements?

On 2023/03/10 11:45 AM, dep via tde-users wrote:
said Michele Calgaro via tde-users:

| On 2023/03/10 07:34 AM, dep via tde-users wrote:
| > what's the right answer? is there a solid non-ubuntu ubuntu that
| > without too much crowbar use runs TDE?
|
| Debian :-)

Assuming that you didn't think I was asking "what's your favorite distro,"
can I in fact point my /etc/apt/sources.list at a Debian server and have
it update/upgrade without breaking things? There's the additional concern
that I have hardware, particularly video, that pretty much demands binary
drivers, and if memory serves Debian is highly allergic to those.
--

Ubuntu is one of the many Debian-derived distros, lot of packages in the Ubuntu repository comes from Debian repository.
For many things, I would expect things to just work once have a Debian + TDE setup and you copy over your config.

If you are looking at converting an existing Ubuntu system to something else, things may get broken. I usually create a new system and copy over my config. But Debian is definitely a good choice if you want to try it, given Ubuntu comes out of that.

Cheers
  Michele