Re: Kate Sort Plugin

On 2/1/23 4:31 AM, Stefan Krusche via tde-users wrote:
I can confirm that the bug is also on my system. That's TDE: R14.1.0
[DEVELOPMENT]. But…

If you use kate's own build-in command line (not konsole) which you can
get by typing F7 or in Menu -> View -> "Switch to Command Line"
(translated) and then type 'sort' it works as exspected and sorts only
highlighted lines.

Thanks. I will file a bug report. I use sorting almost daily.

One work-around with the broken plugin is copy the target snippet of text to a blank document. Then the plugin functions as "expected" because the snippet is now the entire document. Requires additional steps but doable.

I was aware of the "hidden" F7 command line feature, but glad you mentioned that for others to know. As you noted that option requires additional steps but is doable, at least for ascending sorts. Can't do reverse sorts or unique (sort -u) sorts to remove duplicates (unless I misunderstand).

The F7 trick is a JavaScript (JS) script. The TDE Kate handbook mentions JS scripting but not the sort option. The newer KDE Kate handbook explicitly mentions the sort feature. I was thinking about snipping that section of the KDE handbook and word-smithing back into the TDE Kate handbook.

I can't find where the KDE devs moved the JS scripts. I think they merged the scripts directly into the main code because I can't find the files anywhere. In TDE the F7 sort script is installed from tdelibs and found at $TDEDIR/share/apps/katepart/scripts/sort.js. Curiously, the JS sort script has been in tdelibs since the KDE 3.x days. Another curiosity is the sort script seems to be the only functional script in that collection.

In KDE Kate, while still supporting F7, the sort script now is found in Tools-->Scripts-->Editing-->Sort Selected Text. I am hoping to dig into this to see how this option could be added to the TDE Kate Tools-->External Tools menu. That might be unnecessary if we get the tdeaddons sort plugin fixed. :-)