Re: how to force resize of kcalc-trinity?

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 11:39 (+0100), deloptes wrote:

> William Morder via tde-users wrote:

>> Mine is a laptop, so not quite so big: 15.6" with 1920x1080.

> in this case the resolution is too high

Heresy and rubbish!  The higher the resolution, the better (to a
point, anyway).

The problem is not the resolution (DPI).  One problem, which may be
what is affecting you, is that somewhere along the line someone
apparently decided that having X report the correct DPI would require
hard thinking, and so xorg started lying to us and saying the screen's
DPI is 96, regardless of what it really is.  So if your actual DPI is
(say) 140, then your text will look small, unless somewhere you tell
the font rendering library what the real DPI is (e.g., the X resource
Xft.dpi), or you tell your desktop environment (or a specific program)
to use larger fonts.

> - I have similar and at 1920x1080 it is not readable

I assume because your fonts are too small.

If you run the command
        xdpyinfo | grep inch
does it say
        resolution:    96x96 dots per inch
?

And further, if you run
        appres Xft | grep dpi
does anything show up?

A while ago I got tired of all the lies, counter-lies,
counter-counter-lies, and so on, and now when I log in before much of
anything gets started I figure out the correct DPI and use xrandr to
set it.  And now, praise be, a PDF displayed at 100% scale is the
correct width on my screen.  And '()' in a 12pt font has a height on
my screen about what I would expect.  As it should be.

Unfortunately, some things are specified in pixels, which is
understandable in some cases, but mostly the wrong thing to do in a
world where there are Hi-DPI screens.  In my case, having convinced
fonts to show up on my screen at the size they should be, I do need to
specify a suitable icon size, but with that effort things work pretty
well.  I can go from my laptop screen (141.7 DPI) to my TV (something
like 69 DPI, ugh) to my 27" 4k monitor (157 DPI?).

In summary:
        high resolution:                                        good
        X servers lying about the DPI:                          bad
        stupid programs that can't handle DPI != 96:            ugly

Cheers.

                                Jim