Re: gvim with GTK3 in OpenSUSE 15.3

Hi Jim,

On Sat, 10 Sep 2022, Jim wrote:

Hi, see blow.

On Fri, Sep  9, 2022 at 17:05 (-0700), Gianluca Interlandi wrote:

I found out that the problem is with ghostscript having dropped the
"execute" command while xdvi had not been patched yet to deal with this:

https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg1701810.html

The xdvi version installed in OpenSUSE 15.2 and 15.3 is from 2017.

?

Perhaps what you really want to do is get rid of OpenSUSE's ancient
TeX stuff and install TeX from texlive by yourself.  It is a very
simple procedure, but if you want to try it and have any questions I'd
be happy to help.

I never thought of that. So far OpenSUSE's texlive has worked fine, but if I keep having problems it's certainly an option. Thanks for offering your help!

Only OpenSUSE 15.4 ships with a xdvi version from 2021 where the
problem is probably resolved.  I wonder why the OpenSUSE team did not
realize this sooner to at least include it in 15.3 or even an update
for 15.2, but I should have also filed a bug report right away.  In
any case, okular works fine to display .dvi files.

At least you can get on with your work.

I am using Slackware64 15.0.  However, rather than using Slackware's
TeX packages, I just install texlive and get it over with.

I wonder how Slackware64 compares to OpenSUSE in terms of package
stability and consistency. I don't mind trying out a new
distribution at some point.

I don't know much about OpenSUSE.  Slackware 15.0 came out early this
year, but the version it replaced was getting long in the tooth.  I am
hoping that 15.1 (or 16.0, as the guy in charge sees fit) will not
take so long to appear.

Slackware itself doesn't come with every package under the sun, and
the ones it comes with are only updated for security reasons.  So the
stability of a given Slackware distro is excellent.

However, there are many packages (over 8000) available at
slackbuilds.org, and these tend to be updated reasonably frequently.
Those are not updated automatically, so if everything is working for
you, you can just avoid updating any of those packages.  (Beware,
however, of security updates.)

I tend to update my slackbuild packages whenever a new version
appears.  At the moment I don't recall that ever causing any problem
for me, but it is possible that it did at some point.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with Slackware.

Gianluca

Cheers.
                               Jim

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    +1 (206) 685 4435
                    http://gianluca.today/

Department of Bioengineering
University of Washington, Seattle WA U.S.A.