Re: gvim with GTK3 in OpenSUSE 15.3

Hi Gianluca,

Two replies in one.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 11:15 (-0700), Gianluca Interlandi wrote:

<snip>

> Thanks for all your suggestions and help. The alternative could also
> be to install xdvi from the OpenSUSE 15.4 release (assuming it does
> not depend on updating other packages as well).

Yes, although you never know when there is going to be some weird
incompatibility waiting to annoy you.

> As to why dogs clot more easily, I am not able to verify that.  It
> could have several reasons, like the presence of more coagulation
> proteins or blood platelets.

Both of those make sense (speaking as someone with virtually no
knowledge in that area, anyway).

> It makes me think about salamanders (the OpenSUSE logo), which have
> lower blood pressure and hence do not need to form scar tissue (as
> opposed to larger vertebrates) and that allows them to regrow a
> limb.

I didn't know that low blood pressure was a factor.  That is very
interesting.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 11:29 (-0700), Gianluca Interlandi wrote:

>> Perhaps what you really want to do is get rid of OpenSUSE's ancient
>> TeX stuff and install TeX from texlive by yourself.  It is a very
>> simple procedure, but if you want to try it and have any questions I'd
>> be happy to help.

> I never thought of that.  So far OpenSUSE's texlive has worked fine,
> but if I keep having problems it's certainly an option.  Thanks for
> offering your help!

I think the other benefit is that if you have an issue with the
current texlive distribution, the texlive people are very helpful.  If
you have TeX packaged by some other group, the texlive people are
probably not able to help, except for very generic issues.  Also, if
you want to keep your TeX stuff up to date, texlive provides
facilities to make that very simple.

>> I tend to update my slackbuild packages whenever a new version
>> appears.  At the moment I don't recall that ever causing any problem
>> for me, but it is possible that it did at some point.

> Thanks so much for sharing your experience with Slackware.

You're welcome.  Slackware isn't considered to be n00b-friendly, but
anyone who has used another version of Linux should be able to get it
going relatively easily.  And after getting it installed, my
experience is that Slackware is rock-solid.

Cheers.

                                Jim