message bus - connection refused - WTF?

This issue just started, seemingly out of the blue. My system has been running
just fine, and I haven't made any changes or installed anything new or
upgraded in a long time.

The first signs I had were earlier this evening, when suddenly one of my
external hard drives was not recognized. When I tried mounting and
unmounting, everything seemed very slow; still couldn't get it to recognize
that external hard drive. Finally I unmounted everything, then tried just
that hard drive, and it mounted normally.

When I tried to open it, however, Konqueror started acting really weird, and a
window opened but nothing was displayed.

At last I decided to reinstall my system, but after booting up again, nothing
has changed in this behavior. I did finally get a message window (not in TDE
style, but rather in XFCE or Gnome or whatever) saying something
like "message bus could not connect, connection refused - but why all of a
sudden? Everything has been running great.

It occurs to me that somebody on the mailing list mentioned that Konqueror was
acting a little weird, and I wondered if this could be related.

I am running Devuan Chimaera (= Debian Bullseye) and currently using the TDE
stable repositories.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill