Re: non-starting browsers - the whole sad history

On Sunday, February 27, 2022 7:05:01 PM EST E. Liddell wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 15:23:21 -0500
> gene heskett <gheskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On Sunday, February 27, 2022 1:01:06 PM EST E. Liddell wrote:

> > > Sounds like you need to kill the service(s) involved using
> > > whatever
> > > systemd's equivalent of rc-update is (or overwrite the service
> > > files
> > > with no-ops and then make them unwritable so they can't be
> > > changed),
> > > blacklist any kernel modules involved, and possibly write some
> > > udev
> > > rules to force the problem device to be properly identified.
> > > Rather a
 tedious process that would have to start with
> > > identifying the problem device and its USB ID.
> >

> > idVendor           0x0403 Future Technology Devices International,
> > Ltd
 idProduct          0x6001 FT232 Serial (UART) IC

> > idVendor           0x0403 Future Technology Devices International,
> > Ltd
 idProduct          0x6001 FT232 Serial (UART) IC

> > That device seems to be the device triggering all this hate and
> > discontent, but the differences in priority of whats to be done
> > boggles
 my mind.

> A full reinstall shouldn't be necessary—it sounds like someone at the
> Debian end is fond of the Windows approach to problems and doesn't
> want to troubleshoot whatever misconfiguration is going on here.
>
> 0403:6001 is indeed a generic USB<->serial chip, per
> https://usb-ids.gowdy.us/read/UD/0403/6001 , and shouldn't be getting
> recognized as anything else.  However, your biggest problem seems to
> be systemd pulling in unwanted text-to-speech services early in the
> boot
 process.  If you can figure out the name of orca's systemd
> service, you should be able to disable or mask it per
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/three-levels-of-off .
Aha, a web page I can print, black text on a white screen. So lets see if
I can make this stuff work. orca is I think, speech-dispatcher.service
looks like I have disabled brltty, and stopped thr running 6 olr 7
copies. But orca is in the middle of this too but I cannot see it in
htop. So to page 3, and masking. but orca.service does not exist in that
path used in the example. If this was so easy as that, why the hell
didn't somebody at debian suggest it?  Mind boggling that I've been put
thru this BS since last October. One last look at the same stuff in /lib/
systemd/system, which does have a speech-dispatcher.service:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1122 Sep 19 09:55 speech-dispatcherd.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   26 Sep 19 09:55 speech-dispatcher.service ->
speech-dispatcherd.service

So how do I properly dispose of that? I assume it will be executed on
reboot since theres nothing like it in the /etc copy, which will then
need yet another install, and I start all over again from square one
because debian won't fix their installer.
Or, since grep -R can't find a mention of orca, am I barking up the wrong
tree? IDK. And I just fount another speech-dispatcher in /etc/init.d, but
it calls festival to drive me to drink, not orca.  Call me confused, but
not too late for dinner. ;o)

> That should (as far as this OpenRC user can tell, anyway) make it
possible to boot
> your system without extreme lag.  The trick is likely to be making
> sure it stays off when your distro is attempting to be "helpful".
>
> E. Liddell

Thank you, I think I got rid of he brltty part of this with your help.
That after going on 4 months, has to be progress.

Take care and stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis