Re: non-starting browsers - more info

> > I am wondering if anybody else has done a fresh installation of Devuan
> > Chimaera recently, or something close to my own OS. My hunch is that this
> > apparent conflict between gtk2 and gtk3 will start to affect other TDE
> > users.

The signficant words here are "fresh installation"; yours, by comparison to
mine, is already starting to smell just a bit ripe.

> I have installed devuan daedalus on a t470 and on my ryzen, basicly without
> issues (madness of freedesktop GNOMEs does not count). GTK2 is still there,
> firfox-esr works as expected. My last chimaera installation was in December
> - again without problems. But I have to say that I only use programs from
> the repositories, not from 3rd party sites, so palemoon, iceweasle etc. are
> not installed.

Aside from palemoon, etc., I don't install third-party packages. These
browsers, palemoon, vivaldi, etc., are stand-alone items, nothing added. I
don't update them until necessary, so their repositories are not enabled in
my sources.list. And I might add, if I didn't have palemoon, for example, I
would not have been able to use an internet browser at all, unless by booting
into the XFCE desktop.

I got my laptop in early December, so your installation is older than my
laptop itself.

> So I'd suggest you first do "apt-get update && aptitude distupgrade" and
> then fix/remove any packages not from the repositories. You get a list of
> offenders via:

I already did an upgrade and dist-upgrade. Now I am attempting to trace any
offenders.

> $ apt-show-versions | grep --invert-match "\(uptodate\|not\ installed\)"
>
> These packages will survive any upgrade and cause praublems.
>
> Nik

A "fresh" installation would be (for comparison to my own system) sometime
within the past few days.

Bill