Re: non-starting browsers - more info

On Saturday 26 February 2022 06:02:51 E. Liddell wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 16:19:44 -0800
>
> William Morder via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Sorry, but I have never had a problem quite like this. I don't even know
> > where to begin. I've been running TDE since about 2010, off and on, and
> > KDE3 before that from about 2006. This is a first for me.
> >
> > As it happens, I have been experimenting with just that approach. Here is
> > what I get from trying to start Firefox from a konsole window.
> >
> > $ firefox
> > (firefox-esr:19742): Gtk-ERROR **: 16:12:42.109: GTK+ 2.x symbols
> > detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported
> > ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child
> > ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue signal...
> > 19749
> > ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to child
> > Trace/breakpoint trap
> >
> > Vivaldi gives even less information:
> > $ vivaldi-snapshot
> > (vivaldi-snapshot:20029): Gtk-ERROR **: 16:14:29.797: GTK+ 2.x symbols
> > detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported
> > Trace/breakpoint trap
> >
> > $ midori
> > (midori:20520): Gtk-ERROR **: 16:17:48.267: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected.
> > Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported
> > Trace/breakpoint trap
> >
> > I could go on, but it seems to be this problem with gtk2 and gtk3.
>
> Things which may or may not be of use to you in sorting this out:
>
> I remember similar error messages showing up in the past when one of the
> impose-TDE-visual-settings-on-GTK optional bits malfunctioned, so uninstall
> those if you have them.  (I thought that bug had been fixed, though.)
>
> Pale Moon probably works because it's still GTK2-primary, so no GTK3.
> links apparently doesn't use a toolkit and calls X stuff directly.
>
> Vivaldi has a direct runtime dependency on the at-spi-bus crud.
>
> E. Liddell

I get a bad feeling that I may be just the canary in the coal mine. I've
already tried uninstalling gtk3-tqt-engine-trinity, although it keeps
returning when I go through reinstallation, probably because I don't notice
it among a lot of other dependencies. (And I only ever use hard dependencies,
no recommends, etc. If I want those extra things, then I do a search to see
what else will get installed.)

So I have several times installed, by accident or otherwise,
gtk3-tqt-engine-trinity, then removed it again; yet through it all I've never
encountered these problems until just a few days ago when I did an upgrade
using the TDE stable repositories. (I did try out PSB repos, but I got a
problem with Kmail crashing, so I figured it was just a bug, and went back to
the stable builds.)

As for the freshness of my installation, I am using the same Devuan Chimaera
disk image that I put on a brand-new flash drive using dd. It is the same
image and same flash drive that I have been using for installation since I
got this laptop in early December of 2021.

The only significant thing that has changed, so far as I can tell, is to
remove non-free and contrib from the sources.list, because I don't seem to
need those things to make my network usable and reliable.

Next thing, I suppose, is to try enabling those items in my sources.list.
First, however, I will try booting into the xfce desktop, just to see if I
can use those browsers with xfce.

And by the way, I just went through three or four complete new installations
over the past few days, and nothing changes, still got this problem. Last
night I reinstalled, and was careful to keep everything to the bare minimum
(or at least, what always worked).

I am wondering if anybody else has done a fresh installation of Devuan
Chimaera recently, or something close to my own OS. My hunch is that this
apparent conflict between gtk2 and gtk3 will start to affect other TDE users.

Bill