Re: gtk2-tqt-engine causing crashes

On Wednesday 16 February 2022 02:57:38 pm William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> I will eventually try just reinstalling my OS and everything, to see if
> that might resolve it. I suspect that I might have to downgrade to Devuan
> Beowulf. I did have OO running on Beowulf, but that was a 32-bit machine,
> and the saved packages don't match my 64-bit laptop, and now I can't find
> older versions of OO in 64-bit.
>
> So now I have to try to find some combination of OS, preferably Devuan, and
> an office program that are compatible for my machine. The machine itself is
> practically brand-new, runs well, I need to resolve several issues, of
> which this is the most important.

Hi Bill,

To save yourself some time, try the OS/OO combinations in a VM.  That way
you'll at least have a [semi] functioning machine until you hit the jackpot.

> I did give LibreOffice a try, too, but now not even that will run
> properly.

LO should run perfectly fine on any recent Debian based derivative.  So,
that's a bit worrying and implies that you've broken your current install.
Maybe first try loading what you want [Devuan Chimaera 64-bit?] into a VM (to
get a perfectly clean copy), make a VM backup*, and then re-try installing
OO, LO, etc.

Best,
Michael

* Yeah, I don’t know how either :(  “Google it with Bing” as it’s now said...