Re: Chromium and Chrome-google unmanageable : resolved

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 20:00:35 +0100
"ajh-valmer" <ajh.valmer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> So now, which Nvidia or ATI video card works perfectly with Linux ?

You don't want to be buying a new video card right now if you can help it—between
cryptominers and the general shortage of electronic components, prices are pretty
high for most cards from the last couple of generations.

If you still feel you must buy a new card, I can only advise you on nVidia models.
Proprietary driver support for these is always a moving target.  I currently have a
GeForce GTX 1050 chipsetted card, which is three or four generations old at this
point and probably going to age out of support in the next couple of years.  While
I've never had any problems with the card and chipsets from this generation are
currently cheap, I wouldn't advise buying one as anything more than a stopgap.

My experience with nouveau as a driver (on my laptop, which has an NV40
chipset that aged out of manufacturer support a long time ago) has been mixed,
so I don't generally recommend it unless a card has left the nVidia support
envelope.

ATI/AMD may be a bit better supported than nVidia these days, but their cards
currently have the same pricing problem. :/

E. Liddell