Re: Appimage

On Monday 25 October 2021 18.36:05 dep wrote:
> | Some KDE programs like kdenlive exist as appimages. I don't know how far
> | they would prevent parts of KDE to need being installed though.
>
> That was a question I had.

I happen to have a test install of Devuan Chimaera, as far as I remember
without any special installs appart from TDE  (I installed the last Beta,
then upgraded to stable when it came out).

I have simply downloaded the kdenlve appimage, made it executable, started it:
seems to work as intended. So it seems yes, this could be a way to run KDE
apps, maybe also Gnome ones, without installing the backbone of these UIs.

> | Another such idea is snap. I've had less success with snaps.

Snaps seem to have the advantage of being sandboxed, however installing,
manipulating and deleting them is more complicated.

There is also Flatpack out there.

However, my basic needs are usually covered by the standard repositories, and
for rare, special needs I find the simplicity of appimages good.

As to security, well, anyone heard of a security breach through appimages?
I've got recent backups of my system and little on my harddisc that could be
of any use to cyber-burglers.

Oh, and being alive is a permanent risk, so...

Thierry

--
Smile . . . tomorrow will be worse.