Re: Appimage

On Monday 25 October 2021 17.07:27 dep wrote:
> Greets, everybody . . .

> So I thought I'd ask here what
> people think of appimages, both the idea of them and the way they're made
> and used in practice, in case there's a difference.

I can't say that I "like" appimages, but they do solve some dependancy hell
problems.

At my school, we used a software named "Uniboard" (electronic whiteboard). It
was then dropped by the university of Lausanne that made it, taken over by
French (renamed something I've forgotten), dropped again, forked by the
University of of Geveva (Switzerland) and renamed OpenBoard.

They provide Ubuntu packages that don't run on Debian (I'm not sure how they
run on Ubuntu). I found however an Appimage and that one does run, because
the appimages contain all thr dependancies. That may take more place but I
don't have to try and pollute my machine with packages that, in the end,
don't help (when they still exist for Debian).

So I find the idea (rather like a Mac app) quite good.

It does require installing stuff I use rarely, and I have not investigated
exactly what the appimage package consists of. I've trusted Debian...

Some KDE programs like kdenlive exist as appimages. I don't know how far they
would prevent parts of KDE to need being installed though.

Another such idea is snap. I've had less success with snaps.

Thierry

--
Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?