Re: Appimage

On Monday 25 October 2021 09:36:05 dep wrote:

> | I can't say that I "like" appimages, but they do solve some dependancy
> | hell problems.

If you go to all the trouble of using protonmail, etc., then why would you not
follow through and use something more secure, or less inscrutable, than
appimages?

Whenever I'm told that I cannot look inside and inspect the source, but
instead given vague promises that I can just blindly trust them not to do bad
things nor to collect my data, it pretty much means that I'm gonna get
screwed somehow.

> | They provide Ubuntu packages that don't run on Debian (I'm not sure how
> | they run on Ubuntu).

Even though Debian and Devuan are nearly identical, and their packages are
practically interchangeable most of the time, mixing and matching them can
cause problems (especially if you don't like systemd).

Ubuntu is based on Debian, but packages are quite often not interchangeable. I
have sometimes got one to run on the other, but Ubuntu tends to add stuff
that disrespects their users in little ways, and sometimes do worse. Ubuntu
has call-home triggers built into some of their packages. When I ran Ubuntu,
I would watch network activity, and hardly an hour went by without dozens of
outgoing traffic to Canonical.

> | It does require installing stuff I use rarely, and I have not
> | investigated exactly what the appimage package consists of. I've trusted
> | Debian...

I still mostly trust Debian, but I like Devuan better for sticking to the
original Debian principles.

Regarding your actual problem (which is how to organize research materials for
a book), might I suggest some old-school tools and tricks?
https://www.communizine.com/how-to-improve-your-life-using-3x5-notecards/
https://www.lifehack.org/articles/featured/index-card-hacks.html

:-]

Not that I actually use 3x5 cards in the same way; but the principle remains
the same. I use plain text files for much the same purpose, or I scan
graphics or collect other digital files. Then I organize materials into
proto-chapters; but really they are just whatever seems to fit under a
heading, lumped together as I collect them, slowly taking shape over years. I
put my bibliographical information, notes or other references right there
with the quoted passage. Then I dump the plain text into an office document.

Another thing about research: it's good to have hard copies of essential
materials; but also to have digital copies of printed matter.

Bill