Re: Change to forum software? (was TDE Matrix.org room?)

said Gene Heskett:
| On Friday 08 October 2021 14:02:32 dep wrote:
| > said Michael:
| > | Nik’s quote, “Please do not email me anything that you are not
| > | comfortable also sharing with the NSA, CIA” is extremely relevant to
| > | the last point.
| >
| > Anything that's not end-to-end encrypted -- *including headers* -- is
| > being harvested by anyone who really wants it. The best we can do
| > right now, alas, is the rule used by burglar-prevention systems: You
| > can't make your home invulnerable, but you can make it a little harder
| > to break in to than the next house over is.
| >
| > My ISP is a sneak-thief whore outfit. I use a VPN and ProtonMail to
| > confound them, to make getting my information more trouble than it's
| > worth. But I have no illusions that anything I say remains private
| > once it's squirted out by ProtonMail to the addresses of my dimwitted
| > correspondents who take no precautions, who think that gmail or yahoo
| > mail or their own ISPs mail. Someday, maybe soon, there will be a
| > company that loses a lawsuit because its genuis managers thought that
| > accepting gmail's enticements was a good idea.
|
| That can't happen soon enough for me, it would be an instant game
| changer.  And I've very pointedly let my congress critters know my
| thoughts on section 230's protection of jerks like FB et all.

What's needed is a federal law (and in Europe, Britain, etc., modification
of the GDPR) to this:

No person or organization may sell or otherwise distribute information
pertaining to its customers or users without the express written consent
of those customers or users. The permission may not be assumed ("opt out")
but must be specifically chosen ("opt in"). Customers or users who opt in
must be provided a complete list of all recipients of their information
and all purposes to which it has been put. No person or company may sell
or otherwise distribute information received from a data aggregator
without the express written consent of the customers or users whose data
is to be conveyed, and must be provided a complete list of all recipients
of their information and all purposes to which it has been put.

No person or company may deny access to customers or users who refuse to
opt in.

Punishment: Violation of this provision will be punishable by a fine of $1
million and/or improsinment of not less than five years nor more than 50
years for each instance of a customer or user whose information was
distributed.

That ought to do it.

Oh, and spammers should be imprisoned for life; malicious spammers are
subject to the penalty of the latest, most prolonged and painful deaths
that science can produce.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album