Re: As long as we're here . . .

On Sunday 08 August 2021 00.51:00 dep wrote:

> Anybody see where this might not work? The only place I see a possible
> problem is in when I update grub, the timing of which is always pretty
> ticklish with a new drive. If there's advice available on that, I'd be
> glad to hear it.
> --
> dep

What are the respective sizes?

I switched from a one HDD scheme (2GB) to a 1 SSD (256GB) and one HDD (same as
before), then with a machine change to 1 NVMe (128GB), 2 SSD (256 & 32 GB)
and one HDD, then recently replaced the HDD with a 1GB SSD.

I've been moving the partitions with Image for Linux, changing their sizes
when necessary with gparted, and reinstalling GRUB (booting with a SuperGrub
disk). All the time the original disk was safe, so there was no real risk.

In case you wonder why the 32GB SSD, I had it from an old machine and put
cache on it.

If the SSD was same size as the HD,  you could just image the original disk.

As to the UUIDs, if they are not preserved, just write the new ones in fstab.

By the way, I always install my systems with a 50GB root and a 15GB /home. I
have this on the NVMe (with some important data on the third partition). I
got two of these NVMe, the second one in a USB enclosure. Backup is done with
IFL in less than 15 minutes, and in case of disaster I just swap the NVMe.

All other data are on other partitions and backups are managed "by hand".

Thierry