Re: As long as we're here . . .

said Michael:

| On Saturday 07 August 2021 03:00:48 pm dep wrote:
| > I figure I'm gonna need all the luck I can get,
| > in switching the boot drive to the SSD next week.
|
| S’Okay!  That made this whole thing easy.
|
| Modify as needed for your OS and particular hardware setup:
|
| - Tarball /home (old-home)
| - Partition & format SSD *
| - Unpack (old-home) onto SSD
| - Install a clean OS to the SSD, checking preserving /home

That would for me be burning down the house and rebuilding it to get rid of
some dust because there's no vacuum cleaner available.

I'll dd the /boot partition onto the new SSD, which I'm told will preserve
the UUID, and I'll label it Boot for fstab purposes, change the UUID for
the old boot partition, add the SSD -- I'll dd over USB -- figure the
niceties of running update-grub (though with the same UUID as the previous
boot partition it oughta boot fine anyway, right?) and keep everything
else where it is. I've *always* put ~/ on its own partition and now it
will be on its own drive. So no need to tarball several terabytes of data.

Anybody see where this might not work? The only place I see a possible
problem is in when I update grub, the timing of which is always pretty
ticklish with a new drive. If there's advice available on that, I'd be
glad to hear it.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album