Re: As long as we're here . . .

On Saturday 07 August 2021 03:00:48 pm dep wrote:
> I figure I'm gonna need all the luck I can get,
> in switching the boot drive to the SSD next week.

S’Okay!  That made this whole thing easy.

Modify as needed for your OS and particular hardware setup:

- Tarball /home (old-home)
- Partition & format SSD *
- Unpack (old-home) onto SSD
- Install a clean OS to the SSD, checking preserving /home

* or do a throw-away OS install just to get partitions & formats

Here’s an expanded checklist for MX-Linux with encryption:

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=588697#p588697

# # #

Hmm, if your OS does not have a preserve /home feature, it becomes a bit
harder:

- During OS install do NOT create you as a user, create a dummy user.
- After OS install Unpack (old-home) onto SSD.
- Then create you as a user.  (Which should fix all the perms and needed
config files in old-home)

HTH, Best,
Michael

PS:  A 5 to 6 GB external HD is $100-$115 US at the moment if you just need
space to dump transfer tarballs, etc.:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/external-hard-drive/#sort=ppgb&page=1