Re: As long as we're here . . .

said Felix Miata:

| If dpkg doesn't find them in its database, and they're not part of the
| currently installed distro, the only things removing them manually can
| do are free up disk space and remove them from directory listings.

I'm less worried about deleting the kernels themselves and associated stuff
in /boot as I am the other crap that came along with them. Looking just
now, I see linux-headers extending back to 2.6.31-21, for instance. stuff
>10 years old. Trying to think of other stuff kernels bring in with them,
not so much out of fear it'll do any harm but because it's messy and takes
up space.

I wish there were a utility -- I understand why there can't really be
one -- that would go over a system and identify everything that is no use
to anyone anymore and never will be.

I think if I looked carefully in ~/ I could find some backed-up config
files from KDE-2.x. But invariably when I go on a cleaning rampage I end
up deleting one thing more than I should have . . .
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/