Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

said William Morder via tde-users:

| Sometimes I would even take the overheated hard drive and set it inside
| my freezer for a little while to cool down, because they would get HOT to
| the touch.

Reminds me of the "stiction" issue with the Seagate ST251-1 MFM drives.
(Funny the things people remember.) Its failure mode, which I think came
mostly when people hooked it to an RLL controller to make it from a 40mb
to a 65mb drive, was such that after it displayed symptoms you would
remove it from the machine and pop it in the freezer. Next morning, you
had enough and only enough working drive left to remove it from the
freezer, hook it up, and take a backup.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album