Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

On Friday 06 August 2021 11:08:37 dep wrote:
> said William Morder via tde-users:
> | Sometimes I would even take the overheated hard drive and set it inside
> | my freezer for a little while to cool down, because they would get HOT to
> | the touch.
>
> Reminds me of the "stiction" issue with the Seagate ST251-1 MFM drives.
> (Funny the things people remember.) Its failure mode, which I think came
> mostly when people hooked it to an RLL controller to make it from a 40mb
> to a 65mb drive, was such that after it displayed symptoms you would
> remove it from the machine and pop it in the freezer. Next morning, you
> had enough and only enough working drive left to remove it from the
> freezer, hook it up, and take a backup.
> --
> dep

I never had one of those hard drives fail on me, but then I didn't keep using
it like that (watching films, etc.). After that, I used the docking station
for its intended purpose, not to make instant external hard drives.

The Kingwin EZ Dock is (for me, at least) definitely a keeper, and does file
transfers, backups and cloning very well. So I thought maybe it could be
useful to you. They are only $35 or so, last I checked.

But, like I said, keep a fan directed right on it, and don't use it like
external hard drives.

Bill