Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

Anno domini 2021 Fri, 6 Aug 14:44:26 +0200
 phiebie@xxxxxxx scripsit:
> Hi dep,
>
> Am 05.Aug.2021 um 20:59 schrieben Sie:
> >
> > the time it gets here I hope I'll have cooked up a good fstab for it
> > -- the existing drives will have to move down by one letter, so my
> > sda4 will become sdb4 b4 I can use it. And so on.
>
> When you're about adjusting the fstab: don't use the old driveletters
> anymore, a pita sometimes, take partition-UUID's, they stay the same
> whatever you shuffle drives around.

And the UUIDs will give you a hard time when you duplicate drives and boot with two identical UUIDs. e.g.:

dd if=/sda of=/dev/sdb

Remove /dev/sda - it's the old one, replace it by /dev/sdb. Put the old drive on the shelfe for backup.

Some time later you need data from the old drive (will never happen, for sure) and connect it to your system with a sata-usb-adapter or plug it into a free sata port of your mainboard. Reboot or mount the drive ... fun guaranteed :)

That said, uuids are kind of coll, but they get in my way all the time, just like the "new" aka GNOMEish naming schemes for e.g. eth0.

Nik