Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

On Friday 06 August 2021 10:01:25 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:

> Anno domini 2021 Fri, 6 Aug 14:44:26 +0200
>
>  phiebie@xxxxxxx scripsit:
> > Hi dep,
> >
> > Am 05.Aug.2021 um 20:59 schrieben Sie:
> > > the time it gets here I hope I'll have cooked up a good fstab for
> > > it -- the existing drives will have to move down by one letter, so
> > > my sda4 will become sdb4 b4 I can use it. And so on.
> >
> > When you're about adjusting the fstab: don't use the old
> > driveletters anymore, a pita sometimes, take partition-UUID's, they
> > stay the same whatever you shuffle drives around.
>
> And the UUIDs will give you a hard time when you duplicate drives and
> boot with two identical UUIDs. e.g.:
>
> dd if=/sda of=/dev/sdb
>
> Remove /dev/sda - it's the old one, replace it by /dev/sdb. Put the
> old drive on the shelfe for backup.
>
> Some time later you need data from the old drive (will never happen,
> for sure) and connect it to your system with a sata-usb-adapter or
> plug it into a free sata port of your mainboard. Reboot or mount the
> drive ... fun guaranteed :)
>
> That said, uuids are kind of coll, but they get in my way all the
> time, just like the "new" aka GNOMEish naming schemes for e.g. eth0.
>
> Nik

Just the tip of the iceberg problem here with UUID's, I've had them be
made invalid by changing the brand of sata/usb3 adapter because the
first one failed, they can and will change if you adjust anything on
that drive. I didn't lose a byte recovering from that because I was
mounting it in fstab by my fav method.

I much prefer to use the LABEL=name, with a unique name for that
partition, it seems immune to everything but a partition table erasing
full format.

> > Regards.
> > Web mail archive available at
> > https://mail.trinitydesktop.org/mailman3/hyperkitty/list/users@trini