Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

On Thursday 05 August 2021 18:00:41 Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 05, 2021 at 04:07:51PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Existing sata cables should Just Work, if they are not "hot red"
> > colored. Those s/b summarily shit canned and shipped out with the
> > weekly trash pickup, with extreme prejudice and replaced with any
> > other color, as the hot red dye destroys the wire in it in 3 to 5
> > years. Good sata cables are cheap, get rid of the hot red ones. This
> > failure of hot red cables has been known by this now old man (and
> > he's a CET, a scarce item) since it first showed up in J.A.Pan
> > company CB radios just a couple years before we celebrated our 200th
> > anniversary in the 1970's.
>
> Do you think that they are using the same corrosive dye in 2021 in
> SATA cables that people used in CB radios in 1970-something?
>
> I don't know what you consider "hot red" versus some other red, but
> I've had a PC with red SATA cables work fine for six or seven years
> until an unrelated fault forced me to retire the machine.

At that age, I'd have bet that proding one of those cables with a lead
pencil, anyplace in its length, would have made syslog explode with sata
errors. And if a write were in progress, would have made it read only
until fsck'd.

I have pretty decent color vision, having in a past life, had my own
chemical color darkroom for about 20 years even going so far as to
formulate my own paper developer that unlike the commercial mixes of the
day, would let me make 8 identical prints.

That to me, is a unique shade of red with a touch of magenta thrown in.
Any change in that dye's chemical makeup I would have noted, but it
hasn't changed.  Its still the same color it was in 1973.

What happens is that the copper wire becomes a dark rust colored powder
that you can cut 2" off, plastic and all and tap or shake it out over
white paper, getting this as a rusty looking oxide of copper out of the
plastic tube that once had the wire in it.

If it is not mechanically disturbed, the ohmage rises slowly. But
disturbing it mechanically breaks what little connection it has, and the
syslog explodes as the kernel does its best to re-establish the
connection.  Replace the cable and you can bang on it till the cows come
home.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis