Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

On Thursday 05 August 2021 15:02:56 dep wrote:

> said deloptes:
> | Note that WD BLUE != WD RED. WD RED is more expensive but apparently
> | much better. But the one of the 500GB SSDs is WD BLUE and no issues
> | so far. The 120GB is WD GREEN and also no issues although I do not
> | keep this machine running all the time.
>
> I think I can spring the extra $15 for the Red, and on your advice
> will do so.
>
> Another question -- really a babe in the woods here -- will I need a
> trick cable or will my existing SATA cable work? I'm not seeing any
> pictures that show the connections.

Existing sata cables should Just Work, if they are not "hot red" colored.
Those s/b summarily shit canned and shipped out with the weekly trash
pickup, with extreme prejudice and replaced with any other color, as the
hot red dye destroys the wire in it in 3 to 5 years. Good sata cables
are cheap, get rid of the hot red ones. This failure of hot red cables
has been known by this now old man (and he's a CET, a scarce item) since
it first showed up in J.A.Pan company CB radios just a couple years
before we celebrated our 200th anniversary in the 1970's.

> --
> dep
>
> Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
> Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/