Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

On Thursday 05 August 2021 16:00:15 Dan Youngquist wrote:

> On 8/5/21 12:02 PM, dep wrote:
> > Another question -- really a babe in the woods here -- will I need a
> > trick cable or will my existing SATA cable work? I'm not seeing any
> > pictures that show the connections.
>
> A standard 2.5" form factor SSD uses the same cables and mount points
> as a 2.5" laptop hard drive (and the same cables as a 3.5" hard
> drive).  You don't necessarily need the 2.5 to 3.5 mount adapter to
> mount them; they're so light that double-stick tape or foam works
> fine, or you can just let them sit there.

Or even hang there, my 240G amanda holding disk was temporarily installed
by hanging it on the /dev/sdc cables. And I'm a bit lazy, so about 9
months later its still hanging there. It did solve the problem of bad
checksums in the holding disk, which was what I was watching amanda
fight with, and which caused amanda to make a second pass at backing up
that disklist entry, and leaving the failed one there gradually using up
the holding disk space. And worse, it wrote both backups to spinning
rust. The last such incident was in feb, so all such confusion has since
been overwritten by my 60 tape vtape setup on a 2T spinning rust drive,
a seagate of course.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis