Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

On Thursday 05 August 2021 12:53:51 Dan Youngquist wrote:
> On 8/5/21 12:19 PM, Gianluca Interlandi wrote:
> > I know that at least for the mechanical spinning drives WD Reds are not
> > really recommended for desktop usage (only for NAS or storage). For
> > example, they have something called TLER (that can be disabled). But not
> > sure about the SSDs. I would do some research and maybe even contact
> > Western Digital? Not saying you shoudn't, but I would read about it a bit
> > first.
>
> I've learned the hard way, several times over the last 35-ish years, to
> avoid anything Western Digital.  I know their enterprise-grade stuff is
> better than their mass market junk, but if you follow Backblaze's quarterly
> drive reliability reports, it's clear that even those have significantly
> higher failure rates than most others.  That may or may not hold true for
> their SSDs, but I've been burned enough to stay away.  There are known-good
> brands that are the same price or cheaper than WD, so there's no reason to
> use them.
>
> Currently I'm using Silicon Power SSDs.  I was using Inland Professional
> until the compatibility issue I mentioned; other than that, didn't have any
> failures.  Before that I used Crucial for some time, until I had a failure.
>  It wasn't just the one failure that put me off them, it was the warranty
> experience, which was extremely slow with abysmal communication.

I used to swear by WD drives, especially their higher-grade stuff; and so far,
I have never had any of them fail on me. When I bought an SSD, I passed over
cheaper Samsung and other brands, and went for a WD green.

Seagate has been much worse for me, as I've had two Seagates fail on me. Of
course, this is over the course of about 30 years or so, and only two hard
drives have failed, but they are both Seagates.

But recently I read some stuff online about the dangers of connecting WD hard
drives to the Internet. I am sure that others will know the details better
than I, but the gist of it, what I recall, is that there is some kind of
danger of losing all your data, ZAP! in the blink of an eye. This is due to
some [I forget this part]. And the worst of it is that WD was removing
support; although then I've heard that they are now offering support again
for these devices or this problem.

Since nobody else has mentioned it, I thought it's worth saying. I don't know
if it applies to SSDs; I think it included only their spinning drives, but I
could be wrong.

If pressed for my sources, this will take some time, but I hope that others
out there will know what I'm trying to relate, and can provide links for
further reading.

Bill