Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

On 8/5/21 12:19 PM, Gianluca Interlandi wrote:
> I know that at least for the mechanical spinning drives WD Reds are not
> really recommended for desktop usage (only for NAS or storage). For example,
> they have something called TLER (that can be disabled). But not sure about
> the SSDs. I would do some research and maybe even contact Western Digital?
> Not saying you shoudn't, but I would read about it a bit first.

I've learned the hard way, several times over the last 35-ish years, to
avoid anything Western Digital.  I know their enterprise-grade stuff is
better than their mass market junk, but if you follow Backblaze's quarterly
drive reliability reports, it's clear that even those have significantly
higher failure rates than most others.  That may or may not hold true for
their SSDs, but I've been burned enough to stay away.  There are known-good
brands that are the same price or cheaper than WD, so there's no reason to
use them.

Currently I'm using Silicon Power SSDs.  I was using Inland Professional
until the compatibility issue I mentioned; other than that, didn't have any
failures.  Before that I used Crucial for some time, until I had a failure.
 It wasn't just the one failure that put me off them, it was the warranty
experience, which was extremely slow with abysmal communication.

--
PGP key: http://homestead-products.com/pubkey.htm