Re: Two things, both on the same basic machine, a dell 7010

On Sunday 01 August 2021 13:14:00 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:

> Hi Gene!

Hi Nik!

> Anno domini 2021 Sun, 1 Aug 12:45:21 -0400
>
>  Gene Heskett scripsit:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > 1. I was forced by an errant mill table trapping and crushing my
> > last logitech K360 keyboard with a different keyboard, one which has
> > a row of buttons across the top/rear that among other things
> > includes a power switch, and another that apparently makes it
> > hibernate. It is virtually impossible to pick up this keyboard and
> > take it the 3 or 4 feet to the machine without inadvertently
> > pressing one or more of these buttons.
> >
> > None of them are of any use around potentially dangerous machinery.
> >
> > This is a row of buttons above the F buttons which the control
> > program running the machine makes liberal use of. I need to
> > completely disable that whole row of buttons, or find a source of
> > logitech NOS K-360's.
> >
> > How can I do that?
>
> The easy way is to find the associated keycodes ans reassing them to
> something harmless. Problem with that approach: you'll first need to
> find the keycodes (which will most likely end using xev and then some
> nasty words. Or you get some superglue (thick variant) + activator
> spray and glue the key in place. Well, you could just open that
> keyboard and place some glue or isolation tape on the contacts of
> those 2 keys. Or drill a hole through the cap and pull the cap out.
>
> > Second, some debian ID10T has decreed that F10 is to bring up a
> > useless to me menu, meaning the exit from mc now demands I find and
> > pick up the $%#@&& mouse and use it to click on the F10 button at
> > the bottom right of the mc screen. Where, in TDE do I find where
> > that hijacking is being done so I can turn it off so I can run mc
> > from the keyboard like I've been doing for 22 years?
>
> What console do you use?

On the first machine above, TDE's konsole and of course the gui.

On the 2nd, xfce-4.12, std lcnc based on debian 10 install. There I nuked
the text for all the F10's I could find, but an F10 still brings up the
xfce consoles "file" menu.

Thanks Nik.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)